Yesterday a friend asked me a question... and I found it difficult to answer. I suppose it is a question that everyone finds challenging to define to some extent: Who am I? How do I view myself? Perhaps the answer is too personal to try to put onto a blogpost, but a few thoughts about it anyway...
The knowledge that has sustained me the most throughout my life is the assurance that I am a loved daughter of God. From a little girl until now, I have always been certain of that love.
Being the oldest child with a love of learning and reading, throughout different stages in my life I have defined myself as a responsible, smart student. Now that it's been four years since I've taken a test or received a grade, I've come to realize that wisdom and the ability to learn is not defined in real life by how easily one can ace a test or write a paper. Perhaps one day if I really learn how to change and learn from my mistakes, completely forgive another, and accept God's lessons from the beginning I will consider myself truly intelligent but until then... I've still got a lot to learn.
Especially recently as I have been preparing to be a nanny, I have been grateful for the gift in my life of caring for children and being happy helping others. So in some ways I see myself as a nurturer.
I'm very much defined by my family, especially my grandparents and Browning side of the family. I love the acceptance I have consistently found throughout all of the awkward stages of life I've gone through. I love my roles as a sister and granddaughter. I'm still working on being a better daughter.
There's a lot more I could add, but I think those things cover the most important answers... at least for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment