Saturday, September 11, 2010

cheering her on

A few weeks ago, I caught a glimpse of scene on my way to the temple. It was the end of a race. At the top of a hill stood about 20 runners all cheering on the last runner. You could tell she was struggling, finishing far behind all the rest who had completed the race several minutes before. What made this instance most meaningful was that the whole group was cheering and clapping for this last runner as she slowly made her way up the last hill. It wasn't about her speed, but about her determination to finish the race. And it was even more about feeling supported and encouraged in her efforts.

I felt like this was the message God wanted me to know--That although at times I feel like I'm really struggling in the race, lagging behind for a million different reasons, there are many cheering me on. At times, I may not be able see or recognize their influence and encouragement, but that night I felt it. "Keep going, you are doing great things... we want you to finish this race with honor...we recognize your effort even at times when you find it hard to see your own progress." It sure helps to feel that your efforts, however weak, are noticed and encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment