Sunday, April 17, 2011

Best Tomato Sauce Ever

So, I'm not the type to put recipes on my blog. I leave that up to the amazing women at ourbestbites.com
But this one was sooo good, I didn't want to lose it. So I thought I might as well put it on my blog where I can have it forever, and then I can share at the same time. Stick this on some ravioli, or spaghetti, add some toasted bread, and you've got an amazing meal every time. Best part is, it makes a ton and freezes well, and you're getting your daily dose of veggies x 10 every time you eat this.

Chop:
2 small onions
1 small leek (thoughly washed, use only white and light green parts)
2 stalks of celery
2 red bell peppers

Grate or use a food processor:
2 zucchinis
2 carrots

At this point you will be really tired of chopping and grating, but will think, "I didn't know veggies could smell this good"

Heat large saucepan to medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil.
Add veggies (prepared above)
Add large pinch of dried oregano
2 bay leaves
Cook slowly, stir occasionally, 20 min, lid on
until veggies are soft but brown

Meanwhile peel, scoop and seeds and grate
1 small butternut squash
Add to pan.
Also add:
 4 (14.5 oz) cans of plum tomatoes with juice
2 cups water
pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Bring to a boil, then simmer 30 minutes until squash is soft

Take pan off heat, spoon out bay leaves
Let sauce cool slightly before blitzing with stick blender until smooth (or use a blender or food processor in batches)

Makes 13 cups
Seriously. good. tomato sauce.

Prep time: 15-30 min
Cook time: 1 hr.

No comments:

Post a Comment