Monday, April 4, 2011

who knew?

So I have a roommate who recently has made my living situation rather miserable. And I've spent considerable effort the last few weeks, trying to devise a way to get out of my lease and move out. Somewhere between the loud music, the strange guys getting drunk in the room next door, her new boyfriend using the shower and dirtying the bathroom every night and every morning, (and much more)-- I've been rather enraged by the whole situation. And several people who have endured my complaining can attest to how hate/frustration/annoyance I've felt towards roommate during the whole ordeal.

Tonight her boyfriend needed a ride. And though they didn't solicit one from me, from somewhere inside of me, I felt the prompting to offer him one. In the course of the 30 minute drive to drop him off, I found this roommate of mine complimenting me for my religious beliefs, conviction, intelligence, and encouraging me. It was an almost shocking experience... the realization that somewhere in the course of trying to keep my standards, and having to rebuke her for not keeping the rules we've agreed to live by as roommates, she still has at least an ounce of respect for the way I live. It's really hard to truly hate someone like that. In fact, it feels as if I might survive the next three months until I can move out in tact. Who knew one kind action could make such a difference? (Ok, so maybe that's what they try to teach us at church and conference and such, but when it actually has real results in my own life, it's remarkable.)

Give me a few nights, and I'm sure she'll do something else to annoy the heck out of me, but the odds that it will make me hate her have considerably diminished.

No comments:

Post a Comment