Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cycling Thru


My darling friend Tiffany came to visit this weekend. Oh so needed girl time... mixed in with some halloween parties, and a roommate reunion...good way to spend a weekend. We flirted with boys (it's been too long since a boy got my number, but we fixed that several times this weekend)... talked about dating (of course), and reflected on the cycles of life that teach us the lessons that we need to learn.

Currently I'm in a single, stay busy with work and school, and make new friends cycle.

Single: not my favorite state of being, but I think I'm dealing with my singledom pretty well these days. Still, while I was in the middle of making meatballs this weekend, a really stupid song came on pandora and I couldn't change it. (John Mayer writes really dumb songs) One line said “when my loneliness is through, I'm gonna find another you.” I was like... first, why do you need another girlfriend just like the jerk you had before... why not instead find someone different and better? And two...when is loneliness “over”?? That's the thing with being single. I'm always lonely. Just in varying degrees. It doesn't end, you just learn to ignore it.

Stay busy: I thrive on multi-tasking. When you're taking 15 credits and working 50 hours a week, you've got to multi-task: laundry and lectures, playtime and homework, feed the baby and empty the dishwasher. I pretty much have the to-do list thing down to an art now, and thrive on getting as much checked off a day as I can. 

Make new friends: Okay, so this isn't so easy. But I did love the intimate little pumpkin carving party that happened at my apartment this week. Yeah, freeing up a whole night in my homework schedule to make cheesecake and entertain guests isn't the easiest thing, but it was nice to have something to look forward to in the middle of the week beside acoustics lectures. I figure coming to terms with my life in salt lake is a much better idea than hating it, and so I'm going to make a concerted effort to enjoy what I can.

And I'm not sure what's gotten into me, but I've really been on a cooking spree of late. I made DELICIOUS pumpkin cheesecake for the party, and when I ate the extra today...it was even better. I've also made pumpkin muffins, chicken pot pie, spaghetti and meatballs, corn chowder soup this week. They all got good reviews. Man, if I ever get a husband, he is going to be sooo lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment