Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ouray, Colorado

I had a few days off work and decided a vacation was in order. Needing something within a day's drive, I decided on Colorado. Turns out that was the perfect decision. I found one my most favorite locations: a small mountain town called Ouray.

I got in late last night when it was too dark to see anything but the vague outline of the mountains. When I woke up this morning I was not disappointed. This is where I stayed, at a little motel by the river.

This place is called the Switzerland of America for good reason. The small little town nestled in between the towering peaks is unlike anywhere else I've ever been, and I've seen my fair share of mountains. This view was near one of two falls that are within a short drive and short walk from town. The first one is called Canon Falls and the amount of water rushing down these smooth rock walls is incredible (though you can't tell from this picture).
Cascade falls is much taller than the picture tells as well.

After a quick run where I could really feel the elevation gain, I spent a hour or so in the sun and hot springs in town. So relaxing. Best view by far that I've ever had at swimming pool.

Spent the rest of the afternoon driving while trying to enjoy the incredible views from 11,000 feet high in Colorado's pine covered mountains.

They call this the million dollar highway for good reason. How they ever managed to build a road here, I cannot tell you.

Day one of Colorado mountain adventures: nearly perfect. Can't wait for tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful sweetie but ask someone to take your picture. Someone tall, dark and handsome preferably. Love ya. Mum

    ReplyDelete