So this is my life every week in grad school. Somehow
getting a B on the tests, but never an A, and always feeling the pressure and
stress of weekly tests. I’ve never really dealt with this before. In undergrad,
you could get a 70 on one bad test and make up with it with a solid A on the
next one. In undergrad I wasn’t barely making it or wondering what really would
happen if I couldn't pull off a 3.0.
With all the constant pressure of grades and tests, and I've realized how completely
unimportant it all is… whether I get an A or a B or whether I missed one question
or five. The important thing is just that I make it through... that I accomplish
my purpose and that I begin a meaningful career that will change my life and
others' lives in deep, profound ways. Sometimes I doubt my abilities and the
reality of that goal, but mostly I just keep hoping it's possible.
And when I forget about that larger picture, sometimes I’m
reminded of why I’m becoming a speech therapist and what got me this far. Today
I was reminded by a beautiful blog post from a mother whose daughter died age
six. The little girl named Ava had Aicardi syndrome and was missing her entire
corpus callosum (look I’m learning something… I know that’s a major part of your brain).
Other posts talk about her therapists and her life, but I was especially touched by reading how
much this little girl meant to the lives of her family.
This amazing mother wrote of her grief after her daughter suddenly died:
I will live every day
of the rest of my life waiting to leave this earth and be with her again. I will live but for every second some
of my heart will be missing. I will
wonder all the days of my life what it will feel like when our souls hug. Will it feel as warm as it did the first
moments after she was born? Will it be
as warm as it was a few days ago when she nuzzled her little face into my
neck? Will she finally be able to tell
me what she’s thinking and what she feels?
Will we be able to walk together hand in hand to the feet of our Father
and thank him for creating a mommy/daughter team between us? And for making it
last as long as it did?
I had similar thoughts about what it must be like for those who live all mortality with a disability and then have perfect abilities in the life. I often wondered what the little girl I used to nanny, Ali, (who had severe disabilities) would be like after escaping the handicap of mortality. I’m
grateful for all the experiences I’ve had taking care of children with disabilities. At the same time I've felt my fair share of failure during different special education work experiences I've had with special education. I still
have my fears that I won’t measure up as a SLP, but I also know that the scrutiny I’m
about to undergo for the next 4 semesters clinic is going to make me stronger
and more capable.
I’m more than a bit worried about how I’m ever going to
pay back the tuition that’s quickly adding up for all this education. It’s made me
stop to think about whether I’m willing to work for a comparatively low salary as a speech therapist for children with disabilities (versus medical
speech therapy settings involving mostly adults with solely speech disorders). But
today I’ve realized where my heart lies and I have faith that following it… through
grad school exams, and mountains of
school loans, and the constant battle of my fears… will ultimately be more than
worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment