Monday, May 27, 2013

Remembering Jeralee

I wrote this at age 18, but now feel inclined to share it publically.
 
Memorial Day
written Winter 2003

Faded memories and a familiar pain
condense to droplets of sadness
suspended in air
scented by lilacs cut from grandma's yard
and reverently placed on the headstone
where dirt is carefully washed away from each letter
and dead yellow grass is brushed from grooves
of ballet slippers and numbers that frame her
eleven years;

her life like the bright sparkle of sunlit winter frost,
a source of light still shimmering in tears
of the cousin surviving today in grandpa's arms
and tears falling across the freckles of the pony tailed sister.
When, in the silence, broken only by prayer,
the drops fall, one-by-one, and ripple
in an ocean of faith—each drop reflecting
a little more light.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your poem. It's touching. The Underwoods rarely speak of Jeralee. I only see them cry on Memorial Day. I love the "ocean of faith"

    ReplyDelete