Thursday, December 18, 2008

Revealing the teenager in me

You know, it's funny. All day at work I try to help teenage girls with major depression deal with their emotions. From an outside view it's easy to tell them how to deal and how to cope, but then once in a while I find myself feeling more like them. My heart sometimes hurts for different reasons, but still sometimes I just need a moment to cry too. I'm definitely not grown up all the way yet.
My heart breaks for the girls I work with. One has had a hard week because her mom told she didn't want her home for Christmas. She grew up in a trailer park, neglected and abused ... and even now she doesn't feel much love from her family. I don't think I really know loneliness.
The other day another of the girls took me aside and gave me her advice. She told me I needed to be more assertive. This is from the girl who a month ago hated anytime I would tell her to do anything. I never thought such small things could mean so much, but a hug from her, or a few minutes conversation makes all the times I've struggled there seem a little more worth it. It even helps me to not dread too much spending 14 hours on Christmas eve and all Christmas with them. If they can't be home for Christmas, I won't feel too bad about missing half of Christmas day with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment