Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Root Canal

If we were living in the 1800s, the lady who cleaned my teeth this morning would be dead or childless, and I would have a lot less teeth, which all be crooked. I don't cry often, at least out loud, but last night my toothache, which apparently started in the roots (which are currently non existent) of my #19 tooth and extended up the side of my face to a very concentrated spot near my temple. I'm not sure how to describe that intense pain except to say, I pretty sure breaking my arm (anyone of the 3 times I did) hurt less than that. But that was a long time ago, and I can't really remember. Anyway, when I finally made it to the dentist this morning I felt grateful that their procedures include more than giving me some alcohol and pulling out the dying tooth (although after my orajel experience I have begun to appreciate the medicinal benefits of alcohol). As I'm sitting there in the chair and the hygienist lady was trying to make conversation while all I can say is yes or no. I bring up the fact my sister in law is expecting and wants to the whole natural childbirth thing and then she's telling me about her children would have died if she wasn't in the hospital when they were born. So that's where this entry started.

Of course while I'm talking about dentists I have to insert the classic Bill Cosby dentist experience

Try explaining to the dentist whether or not people in China can get baptized while you can't even move your tongue and have some odd blue plastic square thing covering your mouth that he somehow inserted with odd pliers. It's impossible. really.

No comments:

Post a Comment